We welcome your involvement in everything from serving on a committee t0 rolling blintzes for our annual fundraiser to helping serve food to people in need. Here are some opportunities you can serve and engage of act of tzedakah:
Service Leaders: The Ritual Committee is seeking people to lead Friday night services. Whoever leads Friday night services can choose which book they wish to use. These include the Conservative, Reform, Reconstructionist, as well as a Reform book from Sudbury, Massachusetts. If you have a particular type of service you would like to see us do and wish to volunteer, please contact the office.
Mitzvah Committee: Jews are committed to perform g’milut chasadim, deeds of loving kindness. Each one of us automatically is a member of the Mitzvah Committee, which helps members deal with the difficult transitions and crises that life presents. Mitzvah Committee services are described below. If you want to volunteer or if you know of someone in need, call Loraine Lindenbaum, Judy Green, or Shirley Garfield.
- Visiting the Sick (Bikur Cholim): Torah commands us to visit the sick. It is tradition to visit and/or call a family member to determine what other help is needed. Please call Shirley Garfield to notify her to acknowledge hospital stays with flowers and/or cards.
- Outreach to the Elderly: Outreach to the elderly exists to meet the needs of elderly or senior member of the LJCC, such as offering rides to services and social events, visits to home-bound elderly members, visits to members in long-term care facilities, and outreach telephone calls to seniors.
- Meals: When people face a crisis, cooking is often the last thing on their minds. The Mitzvah Committee helps by cooking and delivering meals as often and for as long as needed.
- Shalom Baby: Shalom Baby provides support for community members celebrating the arrival of a new baby. At this joyous, but often busy time, volunteers lend a hand. They offer experience, a set of arms to hold the baby while Mom takes a shower, and meal assistance.
Outreach and Volunteer Missions:
- LINK: On the fourth Thursday of every month, we participate in the Lawrence Interdenominational Nutrition Kitchen (LINK). You can bring food and drinks to First Christian Church between 11:30am and 12:30pm, stay and help serve from 1 to 2pm, or help with clean-up in the kitchen. Please contact LJCC for more information and to sign up.